Sunday, March 14, 2010

So Cal Secitionals - back in one piece, with a spot to Regionals...

Before I get into the details, I want to first give a big shout out to Steve - my coach and support system.  His incredible patience in everything from teaching me a medicine ball clean a couple years ago, all the way through this brutal weekend has been amazing.  Thank you for introducing me to Crossfit and being such a dedicated coach!!  Also THANK YOU to everyone who made the trip out to UCLA to watch me.  Having a great cheering section really helped me get through the rough spots.
The Results.....
Short Version

Hand Stand Push-Ups = 20th place :(
Long Version

I finished 10th in the Stadium WOD, so I was pumped for the 2nd WOD...even though I knew there were Hand Stand Push-ups.  I suppose I was thinking by some miracle, my adrenaline would get me through 24 HSPUs even though I had only recently done a max of 3.  Both parts of the second WOD were tough but very doable for me (with the exception of the HSPUs)- but when I had to tap-out and take the scaled version after only completing 2 HSPUs (I had 3, but 1 was taken away) I mentally broke down.  I completed the 2nd half of the 2nd WOD with a decent time - although much slower than I had anticipated. I finished the 1st day disappointed and frustrated - but hopeful once I found out I was in the top 20.  When the 3rd WOD was announced - I was pleasantly surprised.  I loved all of the movements and the time interval.  But, when it came down to the end - no matter how well I did in the any of the other events - I could not place higher than anyone who did more full HSPUs than me - so for me, it wasn't "Every second counts..."  it was more like "Every HSPU counts..."
Check out the WODs here.

My Thoughts

"What do you call the guy who graduated last in his class in med school?  Answer = Doctor"
This is what the medic who was helping me fix up a tear on my hand (thank you - 30 chest-to-bars pull-ups) said to me when I told her I was in 20th place.  Is 20th place great - not really....but the top 20 go to Regionals, so it can't be that bad. Am I going to go to Regionals  - I'm going to have to think about it :)
I had an amazing time this weekend.  I learned so much about myself mentally and physically.  I also learned so many things that I want to share with everyone at CrossFit Bako so we all can become better CrossFitters.  I'm a little sore and a little tired, but I'll be right back in our box working on my weaknesses  :)

1 comments:

Gloria Palinsky said...

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU MANDA AND TO YOUR COACH!!!! What an amazing group of athletes--yourself included. It was really exciting to watch. Even though it looked very brutal it was also inspirational. What a great feeling when we heard your name being announced over the loud speaker--"Manda Wood-Crossfit Bako" and to see it up on the big screen! It was awesome to see an event like this. I'm glad we were there to be a part of your cheering section and if you decide to go on to regionals, we will be there! Both of you should be proud of yourselves!! Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Gloria